or Delphos. A town of Phocis, famous for a temple of
Apollo and for an oracle celebrated in every age and country. So called
from its twin peaks, which the Greeks called brothers (adelphoi
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Delphi from Fact Monster:
- Delphi - Delphi Delphi , locality in Phocis, Greece, near the foot of the south slope of Mt. ...
- Delphic oracle - Delphic oracle: Delphic oracle: see Delphi, Greece.
- Pythian games - Pythian games Pythian games , in ancient Greece, games held at Delphi every four years (the third ...
- Parnassós - Parnassós Parnassós or Parnassus, mountain, c.8,060 ft (2,460 m) high, Phocis, ...
- Phocis - Phocis Phocis , ancient region of central Greece. It included Delphi, Mt. Parnassus, and Elatea; ...