The island formed at the mouth of a river, which usually
assumes a triangular form, like the Greek letter ( ) called delta;
as the delta of the Nile, the delta of the Danube, Rhine, Ganges,
Indus, Niger, Mississippi, Po, and so on.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Delta from Fact Monster:
- delta - delta delta [from triangular shape of the Nile delta, like the Greek letter delta], a deposit of ...
- Cubango - Cubango Cubango , Kuvango, or Okavango, river, c.1,000 mi (1,610 km) long, rising in the highlands ...
- Mississippi, river, United States: The Mississippi Delta - The Mississippi Delta After receiving the Arkansas and Red rivers, the Mississippi enters a ...
- - Can't read file texas/delta-county/default.html
- - Can't read file colorado/delta-county/default.html