A hangman; a temporary crane to remove goods from the hold of
a vessel. So called from Derrick, the Tyburn hangman early in the
seventeenth century, who for more than a hundred years gave his name to
gibbets. (See Hangman.)
“He rides circuit with the devil, and Derrick must be his host, and
Tyborne the inn at which he will light.” —Bellman of London,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Derrick from Fact Monster:
- crane, machine - crane crane, hoisting machine for lifting heavy loads and transferring them from one place to ...
- derrick - derrick: derrick: see crane.
- Butler Carson DERRICK, Jr. - DERRICK, Butler Carson, Jr. (1936—) DERRICK, Butler Carson, Jr., a Representative from South ...
- Dream Team II - Dream Team II Head coach Don Nelson's 12-man NBA All-Star squad that cruised to gold medal at ...
- Agostino Ramelli - Ramelli, Agostino Ramelli, Agostino , c.1531–c.1600, Italian engineer who served in the ...