(The). In the Catholic Church when a name is suggested
for canonisation, some person is appointed to oppose the proposition,
and is expected to give reasons why it should not take place. This
person is technically called Advocatus Diaboli. Having said his
say, the conclave decides the question.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Devil's Advocate from Fact Monster:
- devil's advocate - devil's advocate: devil's advocate: see canonization.
- canonization - canonization canonization , in the Roman Catholic Church, process by which a person is classified ...
- Morris West - West, Morris West, Morris (Morris Langlo West), 1916–99, Australian novelist, b. Melbourne. ...
- Keanu Reeves - Keanu Reeves actor Born: 9/2/1964 Birthplace: Beirut, Lebanon Despite a deadpan style, Keanu Reeves ...
- Al Pacino - Al Pacino actor Born: 4/25/1940 Birthplace: New York City Academy and Tony Award-winning film and ...