means right-handed skill (Latin, dexter, the
right hand). “Awkward” (q.v.) means left-handed; gauche
is the French, and sinister the Latin for the left hand.
Certainly the German left-handed marriages are sinister ones.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dexterity from Fact Monster:
- Timothy Dexter - Dexter, Timothy Dexter, Timothy, 1747–1806, American merchant and eccentric, b. Malden, Mass. ...
- Samuel DEXTER - DEXTER, Samuel (1761—1816) Senate Years of Service: 1799-1800 Party: Federalist DEXTER, ...
- Edward Dexter HOLBROOK - HOLBROOK, Edward Dexter (1836—1870) HOLBROOK, Edward Dexter, a Delegate from Idaho; born in ...
- George Dexter ROBINSON - ROBINSON, George Dexter (1834—1896) ROBINSON, George Dexter, a Representative from ...
- Dexter Gordon - Biography of Dexter Gordon, Long, tall tenor sax jazz legend