or Dicky. A donkey; anciently called a Dick-ass, now
termed Jack-ass. It is a term of endearment, as we call a pet bird a dicky-bird. The ass is called Dick-y (little Richard), Cuddy
(little Cuthbert), Neddy (little Edward), Jack-ass, Moke or Mike, etc.
The rumble behind a carriage; also a leather apron, a child's bib,
and a false shirt or front. All these are from the same root. (Dutch,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dickey from Fact Monster:
- James Dickey - Dickey, James Dickey, James, 1923–97, American poet and novelist, b. Atlanta. After serving ...
- John DICKEY - DICKEY, John (1794—1853) DICKEY, John, (father of Oliver James Dickey), a Representative from ...
- Oliver James DICKEY - DICKEY, Oliver James (1823—1876) DICKEY, Oliver James, (son of John Dickey), a Representative ...
- Jesse Column DICKEY - DICKEY, Jesse Column (1808—1890) DICKEY, Jesse Column, a Representative from Pennsylvania; ...
- - Can't read file north-dakota/dickey-county/default.html