(Monsieur). A dun. The term is from Molière's Don
Juan, and would be, in English, Mr. Sunday. The word damanche is a corruption and contraction of dies Domanica
(the Lord's day).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dimanche from Fact Monster:
- Raymond Queneau - Queneau, Raymond Queneau, Raymond , 1903–76, French author and critic. He was an advocate of ...
- The Names of the Days of the Week - The Names of the Days of the Week Latin Old English English German French Italian Spanish Dies ...
- Audrey Tautou - Biography of Audrey Tautou, Star of the movie Amélie
- Georges Seurat - Seurat, Georges Seurat, Georges , 1859–91, French neoimpressionist painter. He devised the ...
- December 2 Birthdays: Georges Seurat - December 2 birthdays: Georges Seurat, Lucy Liu, Nelly Furtado, Gianni Versace, Britney Spears, Monica Seles, Julie Harris, Peter Carl Goldmark, Alexander Haig, Maria Callas