literally means something folded (Greek). Diplomas used to be
written on parchment, folded, and sealed. The word is applied to
licences given to graduates to assume a degree, to clergymen, to
physicians, agents, and so on.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Diploma from Fact Monster:
- Neil McElroy - Neil McElroy business executive Born: 1904 Birthplace: Berea, Ohio A business executive who took ...
- Education Facts At a Glance - School facts from the Census Bureau
- Samuel DICKSON - DICKSON, Samuel (1807—1858) DICKSON, Samuel, a Representative from New York; born in the town ...
- Max Frisch - Frisch, Max Frisch, Max, 1911–91, Swiss writer. He obtained a diploma in architecture in ...
- Back to School by the Numbers - Back to School by the Numbers