(A). A scourge used by Roman Catholics for penitential
“Before the cross and altar a lamp was still burning, and on the
floor lay a small discipline or penitential scourge of small cord and
wire, the lashes of which were stained with recent blood.” —Sir W
Scott: The Talisman. chap. iv
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Discipline from Fact Monster:
- army - army army, large armed land force, under regular military control, organization, and discipline. ...
- hermeneutics - hermeneutics hermeneutics, the theory and practice of interpretation. During the Reformation ...
- internal medicine - internal medicine internal medicine, branch of medicine concerned with nonsurgical remedies for ...
- Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton - Buxton, Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, Sir Thomas Fowell , 1786–1845, British social reformer. As ...
- Winter Olympics: Freestyle Skiing - Preview of the Olympic event freestyle skiing