means severance of hearts (Latin, discorda). It is the
opposite of concord, the coming together of hearts. In music it
means disagreement of sounds, as when a note is followed by another
which is disagreeable to a musical ear. (See Apple.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Discord from Fact Monster:
- apple of discord - apple of discord: apple of discord: see Paris, in Greek mythology.
- Alexander the Great: Discord and Death - Discord and Death At Susa Alexander found that many of the officials he had chosen to govern the ...
- Paris, in Greek mythology - Paris Paris or Alexander,in Greek mythology, son of Priam and Hecuba and brother of Hector. Because ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) PASS : FAIL :: harmonious : _____ Hint agreeable singing discordant Word Quiz ...
- Alexander the Great - Alexander the Great Alexander the Great or Alexander III,356–323 B.C., king of Macedon, ...