Daniel Finch, second earl of Nottingham.
“No sooner was Dismal among the Whigs ... but Lady Char[lot]te is
taken knitting in St.James's Chapel [i.e. Lady Charlotte Finch,
his daughter].” —Examiner, April 20-24th, 1713, No.44.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dismal from Fact Monster:
- Mariano Ignacio Prado - Prado, Mariano Ignacio Prado, Mariano Ignacio , 1826–1901, president of Peru (1865–67, ...
- Chesapeake, city, United States - Chesapeake Chesapeake , city (1990 pop. 151,976), formed independently by the merging of the city ...
- Rebecca Harding Davis - Davis, Rebecca Harding Davis, Rebecca Harding, 1831–1910, American novelist, b. Washington, ...
- Elizabeth City - Elizabeth City Elizabeth City, city (1990 pop. 14,292), seat of Pasquotank co., NE N.C., a port of ...
- economics: Malthus, Ricardo, and Mill - Malthus, Ricardo, and Mill One of the most influential writers of the 19th cent. was Thomas ...