The system which God chooses to dispense or establish
between Himself and man. The dispensation of Adam was that
between Adam and God; the dispensation of Abraham, and that of
Moses, were those imparted to these holy men; the Gospel
dispensation is that explained in the Gospels. (Latin, dis-penso,
to spread forth, unroll, explain, reveal.)
A dispensation from the Pope.
Permission to dispense with something enjoined; a licence to
do what is forbidden, or to omit what is commanded by the law of the
Church, as distinct from the moral law.
“A dispensation was obtained to enable Dr. Barrow to marry.”—Ward.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dispensation from Fact Monster:
- aerosol dispenser - aerosol dispenser aerosol dispenser, device designed to produce a fine spray of liquid or solid ...
- pharmacy - pharmacy pharmacy, art of compounding and dispensing drugs and medication. The term is also applied ...
- Spelling Bee - Figure out which of the red words below is spelled incorrectly and type the correct spelling in the ...
- optician - optician optician, filler of prescriptions for and dispenser of corrective lenses. An optician may ...
- Henry VIII, king of England: Early Life - Early Life In his youth he was educated in the new learning of the Renaissance and developed great ...