(l syl.), Divs or Deevs. Demons of Persian
mythology. According to the Koran, they are ferocious and gigantic
spirits under the sovereignty of Eblis.
“At Lahore, in the Mogul's palace, are pictures of Dews and Dives
with long horns, staring eyes,shaggy hair, great fangs, ugly paws, long
tails, and such horrible deformity, that I wonder the poor women are
not frightened.” —William Finch: Purchas' Pilgrims, vol. i.
(2 syl.). The name popularly given to the rich man in our Lord's
parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke xvi.). The Latin would be Dives et Lazarus.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dives from Fact Monster:
- Diving - Diving Men 3m Springboard: 1. Xiong Ni, CHN (701.46 pts); 2. Yu Zhuocheng, CHN (690.93); 3. Mark ...
- Diving - Diving MEN 3m Springboard: 1. Xiong Ni, CHN (708.72 pts); 2. Fernando Platas, MEX (708.42); 3. ...
- Diving - Diving Men's Olympic Diving Multiple gold medals: Greg Louganis (4); Klaus Dibiasi and Xiong Ni ...
- springboard and platform diving - diving, springboard and platform diving, springboard and platform, sport of entering the water from ...
- deep-sea diving - diving, deep-sea diving, deep-sea, act of descending into deep water, generally with some form of ...