A “knowing fellow.” One who knows all the tricks and ways of
London life, and profits by such knowledge.
The Artful Dodger. John Dawkins, a young thief, up to every
artifice, and a perfect adept in villainy. A sobriquet given by Dickens
to such a rascal, in his Oliver Twist, chap. viii.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dodger from Fact Monster:
- Major League Baseball Parks - The best of Major League baseball parks
- Rupert Murdoch - Rupert Murdoch Born: Mar. 11, 1931 Australian media magnate and Los Angeles Dodgers owner Bought ...
- Johnny Podres - Biography of Johnny Podres, A pitcher for the Dodgers who led the team to their first World Series championship title in October 1955. On a team with baseball greats in…
- Tommy Lasorda - Tommy Lasorda Born: Sept. 22, 1927 Baseball managed LA Dodgers to 2 World Series titles (1981,88) ...
- Branch Rickey - Rickey, Branch Rickey, Branch, 1881–1965, American baseball executive, b. Stockdale, Ohio. As ...