A native of Seville, son of Don José and Donna Inez, a
blue-stocking. When Juan was sixteen years old he got into trouble
with Donna Julia, and was sent by his mother, then a widow, on his
travels. His adventures form the story of the poem, which is incomplete. (Byron: Don Juan.)
A Don Juan.
A libertine of the aristocratic class. The original of this
character was Don Juan Tenorio of Seville, who lived in the fourteenth
century. The traditions concerning him have been dramatised by Triso de
Molina; thence passed into Italy and France. Glück has a musical ballet
of Don Juan, and Mozart has immortalised the character in his
opera of Don Giovanni (1787).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Don Juan from Fact Monster:
- Don Juan - Don Juan Don Juan , legendary profligate. He has a counterpart in the legends of many peoples, but ...
- Don Giovanni - Don Giovanni: Don Giovanni: see Don Juan.
- Carlos Castaneda - Biography of Carlos Castaneda, Author of The Teachings of don Juan
- Brigitte Bardot - Brigitte Bardot actress Born: 9/28/1934 Birthplace: Paris, France Actress who often portrayed sexy, ...
- John Byron - Byron, John Byron, John, 1723–86, British vice admiral and explorer. Sailing in 1740 with ...