(2 syl.). A gaunt country gentleman of La Mancha, gentle and
dignified, affectionate and
simple-minded, but so crazed by reading books of knight-errantry
that he believes himself called upon to redress the wrongs of the whole
world, and actually goes forth to avenge the oppressed and run a tilt
with their oppressors. The word Quixote means The cuish-armed.
A Don Quixote.
A dreamy, unpractical man, with a “bee in his bonnet.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Don Quixote from Fact Monster:
- Don Quixote - Biography of Don Quixote, The crazy knight who tilted at windmills
- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra - Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de , 1547–1616, Spanish novelist, ...
- El Toboso - Toboso, El Toboso, El , town, Toledo prov., central Spain, in Castile–La Mancha. It is an ...
- Alonso Fernández de Avellaneda - Avellaneda, Alonso Fernández de Avellaneda, Alonso Fernández de , pen name used by ...
- La Mancha - Mancha, La Mancha, La , historic region of central Spain, in historic New Castile, comprising ...