Something to set against the profits or advantages of a
concern. In commerce, it is duty charged on goods paid back again when
the goods are exported.
“It is only on goods into which dutiable commodities have entered in
large proportion and obvious ways that drawbacks are allowed.” —H. George: Protection or Free Trade: chap ix.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Drawback from Fact Monster:
- contact lens - contact lens contact lens, thin plastic lens worn between the eye and eyelid that may be used ...
- solid waste: Landfills - Landfills Approximately 62% of municipal waste is placed in landfills. If the waste is dumped ...
- REFLECTION - Reflections are usually caused by shiny things, such as MIRRORS, that show a reversed image of whatever is placed in front of them. The image seems to
- Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - Starring Helena Bonham Carter, Peter Sallis, Ralph Fiennes, John Thomson, Peter Kay
- Ice Age: The Meltdown - Starring Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Seann William Scott, Will Arnett