(l syl.). The largest tube of a bagpipe; so called because it
sounds only one continuous note. (German, drohne, verb,
drohnen, to groan or drone.)
An idle person who lives on the means of another, as drones on the
honey collected by bees; a sluggard. (Anglo-Saxon dræn, a male
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Drone from Fact Monster:
- drone - drone drone or remotely piloted vehicle,a pilotless craft guided by remote control. Aircraft, ...
- vielle - vielle vielle , bowed string instrument used throughout Europe from the 13th cent. through the 15th ...
- hurdy-gurdy - hurdy-gurdy hurdy-gurdy, musical instrument with three strings, caused to vibrate by a wooden wheel ...
- bee: Social Bees - Social Bees The groups of social bees, including altogether about 400 species, are the bumblebees, ...
- bagpipe - bagpipe bagpipe, musical instrument whose ancient origin was probably in Mesopotamia from which it ...