A lame duck. A stock-jobber who will not, or cannot, pay his
losses. He has to “waddle out of the alley like a lame duck.”
Like a dying duck in a thunderstorm.
To get a duck.
A contraction of duck's egg or 0, in cricket. A player who gets no
run off his bat is marked down 0.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Duck from Fact Monster:
- duck - duck duck, common name for wild and domestic waterfowl of the family Anatidae, which also includes ...
- duck hawk - duck hawk: duck hawk: see falcon.
- Howard the Duck - Starring Lea Thompson, Jeffrey Jones, Tim Robbins, Ed Gale, Chip Zien
- The Mighty Ducks - Starring Emilio Estevez, Joss Ackland, Lane Smith, Heidi Kling, Josef Sommer
- Animal Dads - Animal Dads Most animals never even see their parents! Many never meet their fathers and some never ...