(Dame). A notable housewife. Dame Durden, of the famous
English song, kept five serving girls to carry the milking pails, and
also kept five serving men to use the spade and flail. The five men
loved the five maids.
'Twas Moll and Bet, and Doll and Kate, and
And John and Dick, and Joe and Jack, and
Humphrey with his flail.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Durden from Fact Monster:
- Robert Durden INGLIS - INGLIS, Robert Durden (1959—) INGLIS, Robert Durden, a Representative from South Carolina; ...
- Daniel Lindsay RUSSELL - RUSSELL, Daniel Lindsay (1845—1908) RUSSELL, Daniel Lindsay, a Representative from North ...
- Furnifold McLendel SIMMONS - SIMMONS, Furnifold McLendel (1854—1940) Senate Years of Service: 1901-1931 Party: Democrat ...
- Marion BUTLER - BUTLER, Marion (1863—1938) Senate Years of Service: 1895-1901 Party: Populist BUTLER, Marion, ...
- Members of Congress: South Carolina - Biographies of United States senators and representatives from South Carolina