means what is due or owing, a debt which should be paid. Thus
obedience is the debt of citizens to rulers for protection, and service
is the debt of persons employed for wages received.
“Strictly considered, all duty is owed originally to God only; but
... duties to God may be distributed ... into duties towards self,
towards manhood, and towards God.” —Gregory: Christian Ethics,
part ii. division i. p. 172.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Duty from Fact Monster:
- excise taxes - excise taxes excise taxes, governmental levies on specific goods produced and consumed inside a ...
- tariff - tariff tariff, tax on imported and, more rarely, exported goods. It is also called a customs duty. ...
- customs duty - customs duty: customs duty: see tariff.
- parlement: Duties and Powers - Duties and Powers At first the duties of the parlement were strictly judicial, but it gradually ...
- Federal Trade Commission: Duties of the FTC - Duties of the FTC The duties of the FTC are, in general, to promote fair competition through the ...