A deaf ear.
One that refuses to listen; as if it heard not.
Bow down Thine ear.
Condescend to hear or listen. (Ps. xxxi. 2.) By ear.
or play by ear means to sing or play without knowledge of musical
notes, depending on the ear only.
Give ear to
... Listen to; give attention to. I am all ear.
I was all ear,
And took in strains that might create a soul Under the ribs of
I'll send you off with a flea in your ear.
With a cuff or box of the ear. The allusion is to domestic animals,
who are sometimes greatly annoyed with these “tiny torments.” There
seems also to be a pun implied —flea
The French equivalent is “Mettre la puce à l'oreille, '” to
give one a good jobation.
In at one ear, and out at the other.
Forgotten as soon as heard.
A bad ear for musical intonations; “ear-blind” or “sound-blind.”
A bell-shaped chamber connected by an underground
passage with the king's palace. Its object was that the tyrant of
Syracuse might over-hear whatever was passing in the prison.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ear from Fact Monster:
- ear - ear ear, organ of hearing and equilibrium. The human ear consists of outer, middle, and inner ...
- EAR - The ear is the organ of hearing and balance. The outer ear collects sound and directs it to the sensory structures deep inside the skull.
- War of Jenkins's Ear - Jenkins's Ear, War of Jenkins's Ear, War of, 1739–41, struggle between England and ...
- Where does ear wax come from? - Where does ear wax come from? Ear wax is made by skin glands near our ear drums. The wax protects ...
- ear: Disorders of the Ear - Disorders of the Ear One of the most common ear diseases is known as otitis media, a middle ear ...