means deviating from the centre; hence irregular, not according
to rule. Originally applied to those planets which wander round the
earth, like comets, the earth not being in the centre of their orbit.
(Latin, ex centrum.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Eccentric from Fact Monster:
- eccentric - eccentric eccentric, in mechanics, device for changing rotary to back-and-forth motion. A disk is ...
- eccentricity - eccentricity eccentricity, in astronomy: see orbit.
- What does it mean? - eccentric --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format The neighbors all agreed that the ...
- Mayfield - Mayfield Mayfield, city (1990 pop. 9,935), seat of Graves co., SW Ky., in an area of farms and clay ...
- Vladimir de Pachmann - Pachmann, Vladimir de Pachmann, Vladimir de , 1848–1933, Russian pianist, studied with his ...