The theory in Ethics which places man's summum bonum in
self. The correlative of altruism, or the theory which places our own
greatest happiness in making others happy. Egoism is selfishness pure,
altruism is selfish benevolence. “Egoist,” a disciple of egoism.
“To say that each individual shall reap the benefits brought to him
by his own powers ... is to enunciate egoism as an ultimate principle
of conduct.” —Spencer: Data of Ethics, p. 189.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Egoism from Fact Monster:
- egoism - egoism egoism , in ethics, the doctrine that the ends and motives of human conduct are, or should ...
- altruism - altruism altruism , concept in philosophy and psychology that holds that the interests of others, ...
- Henry Sidgwick - Sidgwick, Henry Sidgwick, Henry , 1838–1900, English philosopher. He studied at Trinity ...
- Confucianism - Confucianism Confucius (K'ung Fu-tzu), born in the state of Lu (northern China), lived from 551 ...
- Shaftesbury, Anthony Ashley Cooper, 3d earl of - Shaftesbury, Anthony Ashley Cooper, 3d earl of Shaftesbury, Anthony Ashley Cooper, 3d earl of, ...