A prince who had a vote in the election of the Emperor of Germany.
Napoleon broke up the old German empire, and the college of electors
The Great Elector.
Frederick William of Brandenburg (1620-1688).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Elector from Fact Monster:
- electors - electors electors, in the history of the Holy Roman Empire, the princes who had the right to elect ...
- electoral college - electoral college electoral college, in U.S. government, the body of electors that chooses the ...
- Electoral College v. The People - Electoral college versus the people.|Who elects the president?
- Frederick William, elector of Brandenburg - Frederick William Frederick William, known as the Great Elector,1620–88, elector of ...
- Frederick I, elector of Brandenburg - Frederick I Frederick I, 1371–1440, elector of Brandenburg (1415–40), first of the ...