and Detrimentals. Sons which are socially good and bad
parties, to be introduced to daughters with a view of matrimony.
“The County Families of the United Kingdom is useful to all
who are concerned with questions of precedence, and especially useful
to mothers who desire to distinguish between `eligibles' and
`detrimentals.' ” —Notes and Queries, February 1st, 1886, p.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Eligibles from Fact Monster:
- Article I - Article I Section 1 [Legislative powers vested in Congress.] All legislative powers herein granted ...
- Prince Henry | Royal Biographies - Royal Biographies: Prince Henry by David Johnson RELATED LINKS Royal Family Tree Queen Elizabeth II ...
- Peru, country, South America: Government - Government Under the 1993 constitution as amended, Peru's head of state and of government is ...
- Bulgaria: Government - Government Bulgaria is governed under the constitution of 1991. The president, who is the head of ...
- Sri Lanka: Government - Government Sri Lanka is governed under the constitution of 1978. The president, who is both head of ...