To lay an embargo on him or it is to impose certain
conditions before you give your consent. It is a Portuguese and Spanish
word, meaning an order issued by authority to prevent ships leaving
port for a fixed period.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Embargo from Fact Monster:
- embargo - embargo embargo , prohibition by a country of the departure of ships or certain types of goods from ...
- Nonimportation Act - Nonimportation Act: Nonimportation Act: see Embargo Act of 1807.
- Nonintercourse Act - Nonintercourse Act: Nonintercourse Act: see Embargo Act of 1807.
- This Day in History: December 22 - December 22 1772 Construction of the first schoolhouse west of the Allegheny Mountains was started ...
- On This Day... , - Wednesday, December 22, 2010 This is 356th day of the year and 9 days remain in the year. Hebrew ...