(in Shakespeare's Othello). Wife of Iago. She is induced
by her husband to purloin Desdemona's handkerchief, which Iago conveys
to Cassio's chamber, and tells the Moor that Desdemona had given it to
the lieutenant as a love-token. At the death of Desdemona, Emilia
(who, till then, never suspected the real state of the case) reveals
the fact, and Iago kills her.
The sweetheart of Peregrine Pickle, in Smollett's novel.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Emilia from Fact Monster:
- Emilia-Romagna - Emilia-Romagna Emilia-Romagna , region (1991 pop. 3,909,512), 8,542 sq mi (22,124 sq km), N central ...
- Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de - Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de Pardo Bazán, Emilia, condesa de , 1852–1921, ...
- Reggio nell' Emilia - Reggio nell' Emilia Reggio nell' Emilia , city (1991 pop. 132,030), capital of Reggio ...
- Canossa - Canossa Canossa , village, in Emilia-Romagna, N central Italy, in the Apennines. There are ruins of ...
- Guastalla - Guastalla Guastalla , town (1991 pop. 13,354), Emilia-Romagna, N Italy, on the Po River. It is an ...