(French). One in our employ; such as clerks, shopmen, servants,
etc. Employée, a female employed by a master. Employee, either sex.
“In Italy, all railroad employes are subjected to rigorous
examination.” —Harlan: Eyesight, v.
“All these employées should be women of character.” —Macmillan's
Magazine (July, 1862, p. 257).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Employe from Fact Monster:
- employment bureau - employment bureau employment bureau, a government-run establishment for bringing together the ...
- Labor Day - Work in America: history, facts, statistics, and leaders
- State Unemployment Compensation - State unemployment compensation minimum and maximum weekly benefits in 2008.
- Business & Careers - Find facts about current and past business practices, career options, buyers, sellers, brand names, jobs in various industries, and more.
- employers' liability - employers' liability: employers' liability: see workers' compensation.