(French). Our use of this word is unknown to the French, who
use the word bis (twice) if they wish a thing to be repeated.
The French, however, say encore un tasse (another cup),
encore une fois (still once more). It is strange how we have
perverted almost every French word that we have naturalised. (See
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Encore from Fact Monster:
- Exclamation Point - Exclamation Point Terminates an emphatic or exclamatory sentence: Go home at once! You've got ...
- Nathan Lane - Nathan Lane (Joseph Lane) actor, singer Born: 2/3/1956 Birthplace: Jersey City, New Jersey Nathan ...
- Linkin Park - Biography of Linkin Park, Best-selling performers of Hybrid Theory
- May Sarton - Sarton, May Sarton, May, 1912–95, American poet and novelist, b. Wondelgem, Belgium. Her ...
- Jay-Z - Biography of Jay-Z, Rapper of "Empire State of Mind"