Of ancient Athens.
The Stars and Stripes.
The British Navy. The Union Jack (q. v.). The white
ensign (Royal Navy) is the banner of St. George with the Jack cantoned
in the first quarter. The red ensign is that of the merchant
The blue ensign is that of the navy reserve.
A flying horse —i.e.
Pegasos. Ancient Danes.
A bull, a crocodile, a vulture. England
(in the Tudor era).
St. George's cross. Ancient France.
The cape of St. Martin; then
the oriflamme. The Franks
(Ripuarian). A sword with the point
upwards. The Franks
(Salian). A bull's head.
A wolf, bear, bull, cock. The ancient Lacedemonians.
Greek capital letter L (lambda
). The ancient Messenians.
The Greek letter mu (M).
The ancient Persians.
A golden eagle with outstretched wings on a white field; a dove;
the sun. The Paisdadian dynasty of Persia.
A blacksmith's apron.
The ancient Romans.
An eagle for the legion; a wolf, a horse, a boar, etc. Romulus.
A handful of hay or fern (manipulus).
The ancient Saxons.
A trotting horse. The ancient Thebans.
Horses' tails. The ancient Welsh.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ensign from Fact Monster:
- John Ensign - Biography of John Ensign, The adulterous Nevada senator whose parents gave money to the mistress
- John Eric ENSIGN - ENSIGN, John Eric (1958—) Senate Years of Service: 2001- Party: Republican ENSIGN, John Eric, ...
- flag, symbolic cloth: Historical Development of Flags - Historical Development of Flags Symbolical standards were used by the ancient Egyptians, Assyrians, ...
- Nikolai Vasilyevich Krylenko - Krylenko or Krilenko, Nikolai Vasilyevich Krylenko or Krilenko, Nikolai Vasilyevich , ...
- flag, symbolic cloth: Signaling and Communication - Signaling and Communication The International Code flags and pennants enable mariners to ...