The house of Este had for their armorial bearing a white eagle
on an azure shield. Rinaldo, in Jerusalem Delivered, adopted
this device; and Ariosto, in his Orlando Furioso, gives it both
to Mandricardo and Rogero, adding that it was borne by Trojan Hector.
As the Dukes of Brunswick are a branch of the house of Este, our Queen
is a descendant of the same noble family.
D'Este was the surname adopted by the children of the Duke of Sussex
and Lady Augusta Murray.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Este from Fact Monster:
- Este, town, Italy - Este Este, town (1991 pop. 17,668), in Venetia, NE Italy. It is an agricultural and light ...
- Richard Estes - Estes, Richard Estes, Richard, 1936–, American painter, b. Evanston, Ill. One of the ...
- Daylight Saving Time - Starting in 2007, "daylight time" will be observed from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November, adding about a month to the current daylight saving time (the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October).
- Punta del Este - Punta del Este Punta del Este , city (1996 pop. 8,252), E Uruguay, on the Atlantic Ocean. Located ...
- Carey Estes KEFAUVER - KEFAUVER, Carey Estes (1903—1963) Senate Years of Service: 1949-1963 Party: Democrat ...