i.e. Attila. King of the Huns, a monarch ruling over
three kingdoms and more than thirty principalities; being a widower, he
married Kriemhild, the widow of Siegfried. In the Nibelungen-Lied,
where he is introduced (part ii.), he is made very insignificant, and
sees his liegemen, and even his son and heir, struck down without any
effort to save them, or avenge their destruction. He is as unlike the
Attila of history as possible.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Etzel from Fact Monster:
- Etzel - Etzel Etzel , in Germanic mythology, king who corresponds to the historic Attila. In the ...
- Atli - Atli: Atli: see Etzel.
- Nibelungen - Nibelungen Nibelungen or Nibelungs,in Germanic myth and literature, an evil family possessing a ...
- Shooting - Shooting Men Event Small-Bore Rifle (Prone) Edward Etzel, USA 599 Michel Bury, FRA 596 Michael ...
- Attila - Attila Attila , d. 453, king of the Huns (445–53). After 434 he was coruler with his brother, ...