literally means a thank-offering. Our Lord said, “Do this in
remembrance of me” —i.e. out of gratitude to me. The elements
of bread and wine in the Lord's supper. (Greek, eu-charistia.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Eucharist from Fact Monster:
- Eucharist - Eucharist Eucharist [Gr.,=thanksgiving], Christian sacrament that repeats the action of Jesus at ...
- transubstantiation - transubstantiation: transubstantiation: see Eucharist.
- communion - communion: communion: see Eucharist; Lord's Supper.
- Corpus Christi, in Christianity - Corpus Christi Corpus Christi [Lat.,=body of Christ], feast of the Western Church, observed on the ...
- Host - Host Host [Lat.,=sacrificial victim], in Roman Catholic practice, consecrated wafer of the ...