In old astrology, a planet was said to be in its “exaltation”
when it was in that sign of the zodiac in which it was supposed to
exercise its strongest influence. Thus the exaltation of Venus is in
Pisces, and her
“dejection” in Virgo.
And thus, God wot, Mercry' is desolate'
In Pisces, wher Venus' is exaltate'.
Chaucer; Canterbury Tales, 6,285.
In chemistry, the refining or subtilising of bodies, or of their
qualities, virtues, or strength.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Exaltation from Fact Monster:
- Emil Strauss - Strauss, Emil Strauss, Emil , 1866–1960, German novelist. His writings exemplify the ...
- ember days - ember days ember days, in the Western Church, traditionally the Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday ...
- romanticism: Characteristics of Romanticism - Characteristics of Romanticism Resulting in part from the libertarian and egalitarian ideals of the ...
- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand: Assessment - Assessment The prototype of the witty, cynical diplomat, Talleyrand has been either exalted as the ...
- Gothic architecture and art: The Nature of the Gothic - The Nature of the Gothic The essential character of the Gothic period, particularly at the outset, ...