Aim at higher things still. It is the motto of the New York
State, and has been made popular by Longfellow's poem so named. Used
also as the synonym of super-excellent.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Excelsior from Fact Monster:
- New York, state, United States: Facts and Figures - Facts and Figures Area, 49,576 sq mi (128,402 sq km). Pop. (2000) 18,976,457, a 5.5% increase since ...
- Donald Clarence Judd - Judd, Donald Clarence Judd, Donald Clarence, 1928–94, American artist, b. Excelsior Springs, ...
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Kim Cattrall
- Dance With Me - Starring Vanessa L. Williams, Chayanne, Kris Kristofferson, Joan Plowright, Jane Krakowski
- Stan Lee - Lee, Stan Lee, Stan, 1922–, American comic-book writer and editor, co-creator of a number of ...