The Duke of Exeter's daughter was a sort of rack invented by
the Duke of Exeter during the reign of Henry VI. (Blackstone.)
“I was the lad that would not confess one word ... though they
threatened to make me hug the Duke of Exeter's daughter.” —Scott:
Fortunes of Nigel, xxv.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Exeter from Fact Monster:
- Phillips Exeter Academy - Phillips Exeter Academy Phillips Exeter Academy , at Exeter, N.H.; coeducational; chartered 1781, ...
- Exeter - Exeter Exeter , city (1991 pop. 88,235) and district, Devon, SW England, on the Exe River. It is ...
- Joseph of Exeter - Joseph of Exeter Joseph of Exeter, fl. c.1190, English poet who wrote in Latin. He is best known ...
- Isca Dumnoniorum - Isca Dumnoniorum: Isca Dumnoniorum: see Exeter, England.
- Zara Phillips | Royal Biographies - Royal Biographies: Zara Phillips by David Johnson RELATED LINKS Royal Family Tree Queen Elizabeth ...