Justices in Eyre. A corruption of “Justices in itinere.” At
first they made the circuit of the kingdom every seven years, but Magna
Charta provided that it should be done annually.
(Jane). The heroine of Charlotte Bronte's novel so
called. Jane Eyre is a governess, who stoutly copes with adverse
circumstances, and ultimately wins the love of a man of fortune.
(`Eyre' pronounce air.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Eyre from Fact Monster:
- Lake Eyre - Eyre, Lake Eyre, Lake, shallow salt lake, 3,430 sq mi (8,884 sq km), central South Australia state, ...
- Chris Eyre - Chris Eyre filmmaker Born: 1969 Birthplace: Warm Springs Indian Reserve, Oregon Chris Eyre's ...
- Sir James Eyre - Eyre, Sir James Eyre, Sir James, 1734–99, English jurist. As a young lawyer he was counsel ...
- Edward John Eyre - Eyre, Edward John Eyre, Edward John , 1815–1901, British colonial administrator. In Australia ...
- Sir Claude John Eyre Auchinleck - Auchinleck, Sir Claude John Eyre Auchinleck, Sir Claude John Eyre , 1884–1981, British field ...