With a facing, lining of the cuffs, etc.; also the preterite of
the verb “to face.”
Bare-faced. Impudence unconcealed. A “bare-faced lie” is a lie told
shamelessly and without prevarication. Shame-faced. Having
shame expressed in the face.
[silk, etc.]. An inferior article bearing the surface of a
superior one, as when cotton-velvet has a silk surface; the “facings”
(as the lining of coat-cuffs, etc.) made of silk, etc.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Faced from Fact Monster:
- Facing the Giants - Starring Alex Kendrick, Shannen Fields, Chris Willis, Tracy Goode, Bailey Cave
- CHANGING FACES - No one has ever seen a living dinosaur, so scientists rely on fossil remains to provide clues to how these ancient reptiles looked and behaved when th
- Bodies in Space - Bodies in Space Have you ever wondered what happens to the human body after spending prolonged ...
- Roundup of Recent Science Discoveries, 2001 - Roundup of Recent Science Discoveries, 2001 The Fog at the Beginning of the Universe A team of ...
- Origin of Athlete Nicknames - Origin of Athlete Nicknames Do you have a nickname? How did you get it? Many athletes' ...