To put one through his facings. To examine; to ascertain if what
appears on the surface is superficial only.
“The Greek books were again had out, and Grace ... was put through
her facings.” —A. Trollope.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Facings from Fact Monster:
- Facing the Giants - Starring Alex Kendrick, Shannen Fields, Chris Willis, Tracy Goode, Bailey Cave
- CHANGING FACES - No one has ever seen a living dinosaur, so scientists rely on fossil remains to provide clues to how these ancient reptiles looked and behaved when th
- Bodies in Space - Bodies in Space Have you ever wondered what happens to the human body after spending prolonged ...
- Roundup of Recent Science Discoveries, 2001 - Roundup of Recent Science Discoveries, 2001 The Fog at the Beginning of the Universe A team of ...
- Origin of Athlete Nicknames - Origin of Athlete Nicknames Do you have a nickname? How did you get it? Many athletes' ...