Love —i.e. the passion of the fantasy or
imagination. A fancyman is a man (not your husband) whom you
fancy or select for chaperon.
Tell me where is fancy bred,
Or in the heart or in the head.
Shakespeare: Merchant of Venice, iii. 2.
Pugilists. So called because boxing is the chief of sports, and
fancy means sports, pets, or fancies. Hence “dog-fanciers,”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fancy from Fact Monster:
- Mothers of Invention - Mothers of Invention They say necessity is the mother of invention. But mothers are the mothers of ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) SHALLOW : DEEP :: _____ : fancy Hint tiara formal drab Word Quiz Spelling Bee ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) PLAIN : FANCY :: weak : _____ Hint wimpy hearty weakling Word Quiz Spelling ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) ADORNED : PLAIN :: use : _____ Hint utilize squander fancy Word Quiz Spelling ...
- behemoth - behemoth behemoth [Heb.,=plural of beast], large, fanciful primeval monster, like Leviathan, ...