means “slain or overcome by the eyes.” The allusion is to the
ancient notion of bewitching by the power of the eye. (Greek,
baskaino, i.e. phaesi kaino, to kill with the eyes. See
Valpy: Etymology of Greek Words, p. 23, col. 1; Latin, fascino.
) (See Evil Eye.)
“None of the affections have been noted to fascinate and bewitch, but
love and envy.” —Bacon.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fascination from Fact Monster:
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) FASCINATING : BORING :: runty : _____ Hint puny oversized kitten Word Quiz ...
- diamond: Bibliography - Bibliography See V. Argenzio, Diamonds Eternal (1974); A. N. Wilson, Diamonds: From Birth to ...
- What does it mean? - spelunk --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format I thought it would be fun to spelunk ...
- Spelling Bee - Figure out which of the red words below is spelled incorrectly and type the correct spelling in the ...
- Garden of the Gods - Garden of the Gods Garden of the Gods, park, 770 acres (312 hectares), central Colo., near Colorado ...