A brave soldier who obtained a complete victory over the King
of Morocco and Grenada, near Tarifa, in 1340. Being in love with
Leonora de Guzman, Alfonso XI., whose life he had saved in the battle,
created him Count of Zamora and Marquis of Montreal, and gave him the
hand of Leonora in marriage. No sooner was this done, than Ferdinando
discovered that Leonora was the king's mistress; so he restored his
ranks and honours to the king, repudiated his bride, and retired to the
monastery of St. James of Compostella. Leonora entered the same
monastery as a novice, obtained the forgiveness of Ferdinando, and
(Donizetti's opera of La Favorita.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ferdinando from Fact Monster:
- Pescara, Ferdinando Francesco d'Avalos, marchese di - Pescara, Ferdinando Francesco d'Avalos, marchese di Pescara, Ferdinando Francesco d'Avalos, ...
- Sir Ferdinando Gorges - Gorges, Sir Ferdinando Gorges, Sir Ferdinando , c.1566–1647, English colonizer, proprietor of ...
- Pescara - Pescara Pescara, city (1991 pop. 122,236), capital of Pescara prov., in Abruzzi, central Italy, on ...
- Galli da Bibiena - Bibiena or Bibbiena, Galli da Bibiena or Bibbiena, Galli da , family of Italian artists of the 17th ...
- George Popham - Popham, George Popham, George , c.1550–1608, early colonist in Maine, b. England. He was ...