To cheat. The allusion is to filing money for the sake of the
dust which can be used or sold. A file is a cheat. Hence “a
jolly file,” etc.
“Sorful becom that fals file.”
Cursor Mundi MS.
In single file.
Single row; one behind another. (French, file,
Rank and file.
Common soldiers. Thus we say, “Ten officers and
three hundred rank and file fell in the action.” Rank
men standing abreast, file
to men standing behind each other.
“It was only on the faith of some grand expedition that the credulous
rank and file of the Brotherhood subscribed their dollars.” —The
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on File from Fact Monster:
- The Hoax Files: The Truth Isn't Out There - Click on the links below to read about some of the greatest hoaxes in sports, science, art, and the ...
- People: Rank and File - People: Rank and File From the pecking order of chickens to the size of children, groups have a way ...
- D - F - D - F database A collection of similar information stored in a file, such as a database of ...
- Hoaxes - E-mail - E-mail Emergencies? by Jarrett Tolman Kurt Vonnegut@MIT "Ladies and gentlemen of the class of ...
- Hoaxes - Corporate - Corporate Shenanigans by Shmuel Ross Yo Quiero Liberty On April 1, 1996, readers of newspapers ...