(The). Atys was metamorphosed into a fir-tree by
Cybele, as he was about to lay violent hands on himself. (Ovid
Metamorphoses, x. fable 2.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fir-tree from Fact Monster:
- Aleksey von Jawlensky - Jawlensky, Aleksey von Jawlensky, Aleksey von , 1864–1941, Russian painter. He went to Munich ...
- CONIFEROUS PLANTS - There are about 550 species of conifer, most of which are large, evergreen trees. Their leaves are often needle-shaped and usually have a thick, waxy
- June beetle - June beetle June beetle or May beetle,a blackish or mahogany-colored beetle of the scarab beetle ...
- truffle - truffle truffle [Fr.], subterranean edible fungus that forms a mutually beneficial (symbiotic) ...
- Christmas Traditions - Why do we have Christmas trees and other xmas trivia