A game similar to court-tennis; the hand, however, is used
instead of a racket. Said to be so called because the game is three
“He forgot that cricket and fives are capital training for tennis.”
—T. Hughes: Tom Brown at Oxford, chap. ii.
A bunch of fives.
The fist, in which the five fingers are bound in a bunch.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fives from Fact Monster:
- The Five - Five, The Five, The, name of a group of late 19th-century Russian composers. They were Balakirev, ...
- The Five Senses - The Five Senses Each person has five sense organs that take in information from your environment ...
- Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms - Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms, period of Chinese history between ...
- Five Kingdoms of Life - Science > General Science Five Kingdoms of Life by Beth Rowen Related Links Classifying Animals ...
- Five Nations - Five Nations: Five Nations: see Iroquois Confederacy.