A black flag
is the emblem of piracy or of no quarter. (See Black Flags.)
To unfurl the black flag. To declare war. The curtain which used to
hang before the door of Ayeshah, Mahomet's favourite wife, was taken
for a national flag, and is regarded by Mussulmans as the most precious
of relics. It is black, and is never unfolded except as a declaration
A red flag.
To display a red flag is to defy or dare to battle. Red is the
emblem of blood. The Roman signal for battle.
A yellow flag
signals contagious disease on board ship. To get one's flag.
To become an admiral. Formerly the captain of a flagship was called a
“I do not believe that the bullet is cast that is to deprive you of
life, Jack, you'll get your flag, as I hope to get mine” —Kingston:
The Three Admirals, xiii.
To hang the flag half-mast high
is in token of mourning or distress. To hang out the white flag.
To sue for quarter, to give in.
To lower one's flag,
to eat humble pie to eat the leek, to confess oneself in the wrong;
to eat one's own words.
“The ... Association ... after systematically opposing the views of
the ... National Congress, had to lower the flag and pass a resolution
in favour of simultaneous examinations.” —Nineteenth Century
(April, 1894, page 670).
To strike the flag.
To lower it or pull it down upon the cap, in token of respect or
submission. In naval warfare it means to surrender.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Flag from Fact Monster:
- U.S. State Flags - Find an image of each flag of the fifty states of the United States of America.
- Irish Flag - What's the Symbolism of the Irish Flag? History and symbolism of the Irish tricolour by Borgna ...
- Flags From Around the World - Flags From Around the World Afghanistan to Dominican Republic East Timor to Libya Liechtenstein to ...
- Flags - Homework Center – Frequently Asked Questions Flags What do the state flags look like? Where ...
- When and How to Display the U.S. Flag - The United States Flag Code stipulates that as the symbol of a living country, the flag is considered in itself a living thing. These regulations outline the proper ways to display the American flag.