One who is not sharp; a suite of rooms on one floor.
“Oh, Messrs ... what flats you are!” —The Times.
“He said he was going to have a flat to let on the top floor.” —
Howells: Hazards of New Fortunes. vol. i. part i. p. 123.
Flat as a flounder.
I knocked him down flat as a flounder. A flounder is one of the
flat-fish. Flat as a pancake. Quite flat. A pancake is a thin
flat cake, fried in a pan.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Flat from Fact Monster:
- flat foot - flat foot flat foot, condition of the human foot in which the entire sole rests on the ground when ...
- flat-coated retriever - flat-coated retriever flat-coated retriever, breed of large sporting dog developed in England in ...
- Bonneville Salt Flats - Bonneville Salt Flats Bonneville Salt Flats , desert area in Tooele co., NW Utah, c.14 mi (22.5 km) ...
- fallen arches - fallen arches: fallen arches: see flat foot.
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) PAPER DOLLS : FLAT :: _____ : pointed Hint sharp round fang Word Quiz ...