When flatterers meet, the devil goes to dinner. Flattery is so
pernicious, so fills the heart with pride and conceit, so perverts the
judgment and disturbs the balance of the mind, that Satan himself could
do no greater mischief. He may go to dinner and leave the leaven of
wickedness to operate its own mischief.
“Porteus, there is a proverb thou shouldst read: `When flatterers
meet, the devil goes to dinner.'”Peter Pindar: Nil Admirari.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Flatterers from Fact Monster:
- Bartholomeus van der Helst - Helst, Bartholomeus van der Helst, Bartholomeus van der , 1613–70, Dutch portrait painter. In ...
- silk - silk silk, fine, horny, translucent, yellowish fiber produced by the silkworm in making its cocoon ...
- Sir Peter Lely - Lely, Sir Peter Lely, Sir Peter , 1618–80, Dutch portrait painter in England. His original ...
- Donna Karan - Donna Karan (Donna Faske) fashion designer, business executive Born: 10/2/1948 Birthplace: Forest ...
- The Planets - Earth - Earth Earth is not perfectly round; it bulges at the equator and is flatter at the poles. From ...