When the Princess Badoura was placed on Prince Camaralzaman's
bed, in order to compare their claims to beauty, the fairy Maimounë
changed herself into a flea, and bit the prince on the neck in order to
awake him. Next, the genius Danhasch changed himself into a flea and
bit the princess on the lip, that she might open her eyes and see the
prince. (Arabian Nights; Camaralzaman and Badoura.)
as a parasite.
Hobbes clearly proves that every creature
Lives in a state of war by nature;
So naturalists observe a flea
as smaller fleas that on him prey,
And these have smaller still to bite 'em,
And so proceed ad infinitum.
Swift: Poetry; a Rhapsody.
Sent off with a flea in his ear.
Peremptorily. A dog which has a flea in the ear is very restless,
and runs off in terror and distress. In French: Mettre à quelqu'un
puce à l'oreille.
Probably our change of word implies a pun.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Flea from Fact Monster:
- flea - flea flea, common name for any of the small, wingless insects of the order Siphonaptera. The adults ...
- water flea - water flea: water flea: see crustacean.
- crustacean - crustacean crustacean , primarily aquatic arthropod of the subphylum Crustacea. Most of the 44,000 ...
- What does it mean? - vermin --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Which Donald Duck character might be ...
- rickettsia: Types of Rickettsial Diseases - Types of Rickettsial Diseases Rickettsia prowazekii causes louse-borne typhus, carried from person ...